BlackBerry Corporation Senior Site Reliability Specialist in Waterloo, Ontario
Worker Sub-Type: Regular
* Job Description: *
- Design BlackBerry services to work in a highly available and disaster-resilient global fashion.
- Collaborate with product and development teams to evolve and improve software and services.
- Develop and apply CI/CD workflows.
- Use outside-of-the-box thinking to generate creative solutions to problems.
- Analyze and present multiple solutions; Use analytic and strategic skills to select and recommend one.
- Troubleshoot and identify bugs in partnership with development and testing teams.
- Automate recurring work such as deployments, upgrades, management and monitoring functions.
- Develop tools and engineer 3rd party software to support the BlackBerry services.
- System performance management and tuning.
- Validate that production behavior and performance aligns with test results.
- Deployment and upgrades of BlackBerry services; coordinating the arrangements for the supporting platform and infrastructure; configuration of the services.
- Create and review methods of procedure (MOPs) that specify the steps and commands to run; create implementation plans that organize the work across multiple teams.
- Adhere to defined Change, Incident, and Problem Management policies designed to manage risk and improve availability amidst services and technologies evolving at a fast pace.
- Standardize production and lab systems to make deployments and troubleshooting easier.
- Communicate status and results to key internal stakeholders; manage expectations for the project and service.
- Continuously work with development, networking, and security teams to improve security posture and eliminate vulnerabilities.
- Advise on capacity planning and management.
- Build and deploy brand new services; migrate services between sites.
- Work with security teams to improve security and patch identified security vulnerabilities.
- Assess service quality and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Troubleshoot and resolve incidents affecting both production and pre-production environments; prevent incidents from recurring through knowledge sharing, documentation, and improvements. Contribute to root cause analysis.
- React quickly to problems and follow established procedures to implement solutions.
- Create and maintain support information, such as procedure instructions and process updates.
- Share knowledge with other BlackBerry employees, formally and informally.
- Contribute to incident impact calculations to help determine the true impact to customers.
- Work within the defined change management processes to plan and schedule changes.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science, Systems Administration, or a related discipline.
- Five to eight years of experience in Service Provider, IT Administration, or Network Operations settings.
- Strong Linux/Unix administration.
- Deploying and maintaining standard Internet services (e.g. apache, tomcat, JBoss middleware), DNS services (e.g. bind), and protocols (e.g. HTTP, SSL).
- Experience with Container platforms (e.g. Docker, OpenShift, Kubernetes).
- Designing services in a public cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure) and deploying IaC using Terraform.
- Virtualization, Cloud Computing (e.g. KVM, VMware, Openstack), PaaS support and configuration.
- Scripting and/or programming experience in Python, bash, awk, sed, Perl, shell, XML, Ruby.
- Experience with automation in large scale environments using scripts, version control (eg: Git, SVN) and configuration management (e.g. Puppet, Chef).
- Application network configuration (configuring and troubleshooting routes, VLANs, subnets).
- Participation in an on-call rotation; operate effectively in a global 24x7 environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Effective collaboration and negotiation.
- High initiative and motivation. Ability to work effectively independently, and to support multiple services as part of a team.
- Ability to embrace change, seize opportunities, and contribute to a positive working culture.
- Proponent of “best practices” and a leader in continuous improvement.
- Knowledge sharing and coaching.
- Sharp in support and troubleshooting of applications and services, including log analysis.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and with minimal support and guidance.
- Strong individual time management. Basic project management skills.
- Handling pressure and urgent situations with a level-headed approach and high professionalism.
- Data storage products (e.g. Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Cassandra). Hadoop. NAS/SAN solutions.
- Programming languages (Java, Ruby, C, C++).
- Certifications such as LFCS/LFCE from Linux Foundation, LPI, RedHat or SuSE.
- Application load balancing and dynamic/intelligent DNS.
- Cloud networking using VPC, Security Groups, NACL, Transit Gateways.
- Enterprise-class monitoring tools.
- Formal project management training or certifications.
- Experience as a trainer.
Scrum and Kanban methodologies.
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40
BlackBerry (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) is a trusted security software and services company that provides enterprises and governments with the technology they need to secure the Internet of Things. Headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario, the company is unwavering in its commitment to safety, cybersecurity and data privacy, and leads in key areas such as artificial intelligence, endpoint security and management, encryption and embedded systems. You couldn’t choose a more exciting time to consider joining us! For more information, visit BlackBerry.com and follow @BlackBerry.
©2022 BlackBerry. All right reserved. BlackBerry® and related trademarks, names, and logos are the property of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
It is the policy of BlackBerry to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
EEO Minorities/Females/P rotected Veteran/Disabled