Microsoft Corporation Federal Business Applications Architect Manager in Washington, District Of Columbia
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. Growth mindset encourages each of us to lean in and learn what matters most to our customers, to create the foundational knowledge that enables us to make customer-first decisions in everything we do. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Microsoft Federal delivers a single unified organization centered around our customer: All critical customer functions are brought under the same organizational umbrella. Bringing together the breadth and depth in our space with a razor sharp focus on serving the U.S. Government. Our federal customers’ expectations of how to contract, interact, and partner with us are changing, and they need to evolve at the pace of the private sector. Launching a nimble, empowered organization with comprehensive resources allows us to work hand in hand with our customers to accelerate their technology innovation, whether through R&D or through direct contracting.
Microsoft Federal serves the U.S. Government (USG), allowing Microsoft to support the growing government business. The organization supports the capabilities and requirements to service USG through direct sales, contracting, and billing with the USG. Microsoft Federal entity will meet obligations of manage contracts with the USG through six business teams and three enablement teams.
We are committed to empowering our teams , building upon our strategic investments, and delivering the technology to achieve federal missions. As our federal customers pursue their work, from defending the nation, to serving its citizens in challenging times, they look to Microsoft to help them innovate, and they expect end-to-end engagement tailored to their needs.
Microsoft has been committed to and continues to heavily invest in supporting our Federal Government. Microsoft Federal offers our full spectrum of products and services, including hardware, software, online products, and consulting and services.
Join us and be one who helps to empower the US government! That’s incredible reach . When you combine that with your own inspiration , plus the freedom and support to make your ideas happen, you can make a huge impact.
The US Federal Consulting Business Applications Center of Excellence is looking for a Solution Architect Manager with CRM/CE (Customer Engagement) or ERP Enterprise experience who has a mix of hands on experience in selling business value solutions in highly competitive situations, business applications implementation, architectural design and strategic business acumen. Solution Architects must have a passion for the customer which is demonstrated through professionalism and striving for excellence in all aspects of the customer experience.
Working at Microsoft
We are part of a diverse and multi-cultural team of customer focused and results-driven influencers. With a growth mindset and collaboration at its core, the domain leverages the unique talents and skills of all individuals to drive success and deliver results.
This is your opportunity to work and learn with the foremost Microsoft Dynamics 365 experts on a variety of projects, technologies, and geographies. At Microsoft you will be provided with a range of opportunities for professional and personal development across all our technologies and business. As a member of the Microsoft’s Business Applications team, you will work on the largest and most complex Federal customer projects that will make a real difference in millions of people’s lives
This Architect Manager role is part of the Federal Business Applications leadership team, and through close collaboration with other key roles, ensures that high quality customer transformations are delivered in an efficient and profitable manner across the lifecycle. At its core, this role:
• Leads a team of Architects in delivering market making business application solutions
• Targets, manages, and prioritizes the Architect team to support Microsoft Federal in achieving shared targets
• Provides architectural guidance to the team in deal shaping in pre-sales and quality assurance in support of profitable delivery, customer & partner satisfaction
• Engages in the largest, most complex opportunities and deliveries
• Partners with Delivery Managers to review the current portfolio of engagements and contracts regularly to ensure delivery is on track within approved scope or that scope changes are properly handled (scope change requests, contract add-ons, etc.)
• Mentors Architects and technical contributors across the organization
• Partners closely with pre-sales leaders and team to establish a healthy pipeline to drive & win new business in line with Microsoft strategy
• Builds key customer & partner relationships and internal stakeholder networks relevant to the business, including Product & Engineering groups
• Provides technology leadership and strategy, including inputs to new capabilities, technical readiness, based on emerging technologies and market trends
• Generates a diverse and inclusive workgroup environment, demonstrating cross-group collaboration
The Solution Architect team helps customer account teams identify, pursue and close strategic business development opportunities while continually driving add-on business within existing projects. To accomplish this, Solution Architects must be effective in fostering executive level relationships. They also play a key role in engaging partners and the US Delivery Center as part of the overall Microsoft services delivery model. Solution Architects help translate business requirements into technology requirements for inclusion in contracts and/or statements of work (SOW). In some cases, the Solution Architect will also assist in contract negotiations.
The Solution Architect Manager will be required to assist the team by providing technical quality oversight at various points throughout a project lifecycle. To be successful, he or she must have proven experience managing projects through the entire project lifecycle. This includes managing multi-phase/multi-dimensional/multi-resource projects to conclusion while maintaining high customer satisfaction. The role requires an individual who is self-motivated, resourceful, confident under pressure, and has demonstrated skill in both crisis management and expectation management.
The Solution Architect Manager must demonstrate advanced analysis skills and experience in principals of architecting, designing, demonstrating, and positioning Dynamics CRM or ERP-based solutions including estimating service implementations. To be credible, he or she must have current and deep experience with implementing large CRM or ERP engagements using the Microsoft Dynamics platform. Understanding of competitive technology (i.e. SFDC or Oracle) enables the architect to properly assess feasibility of migrating customer solutions from, and/or integrating with customer solutions hosted on, non-Microsoft platforms. Advanced domain knowledge in one or more vertical industry is also an asset. Solution Architect Managers are expected to gain and maintain effective product group and other critical stakeholder relationships.
Technical Knowledge & Expertise
• 10+ years working with large Enterprise customers and field communities in consulting or similar roles, leading deployment projects, architecture, design, implementation, and/or support of highly distributed applications OR 10+ years of experience in building products and services as part of Software Engineering teams in Engineering positions
• Required proven technical knowledge of deployment of both Cloud and on-premise software solutions and architectures. Must have participated in deployments as a Lead Developer/Architect role
• Working knowledge of D365, Azure, and/or competitive cloud technologies
• 10+ years of Microsoft Dynamics CRM or ERP Experience
• Azure Certified Architect
• US Citizenship
• Federal Security Clearance
• 50-75% travel under normal circumstances
• Bachelor (or Master’s) degree, MBA desirable
• Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) OR Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS)
Leadership, Collaboration, Communication
• Ability to run complex program management, including cross-project planning and resource orchestration, as well as the ability to consistently identify and drive program enhancements
• Strategic thinking with the ability to execute cross-org and drive for results in ambiguous environments, independence in decision making, ability to problem-solve
• Proven ability to quickly adapt in rapidly evolving business situations
• Experience in managing various stakeholder relationships to get consensus on solutions/projects
• Proven track record of driving decisions collaboratively, resolving conflicts, and ensuring follow-through with exceptional verbal and written communication
• Strong presentation and demo skills with a high degree of comfort with both large and small audiences and with different levels of an organization
The Solution Architect Manager should have the following core competencies to effectively coach and mentor Solution Architect team members:
• The role should have proven experience in a broad range of industry knowledge and at least 10 years CRM or ERP implementation experience
• Proven experience selling product and consulting engagements in competitive situations
• Experience which includes estimating, scoping, and writing effective statements of work that clearly set expectations and limit risk
• Demonstrated excellence at presenting complex development topics to both business executive and technical personnel
• An ability to articulate architectural differences between solution methods and the challenges and approaches to integrating solutions built on different platforms including a working knowledge of different architectural frameworks that may be used by our customers
• Working knowledge of specialized tools and solution providers whether they be Microsoft partners or competitors
• Knowledge of full application life cycle design tools and methodologies
• Exceptional demonstrated consulting skills
• Large enterprise deployment experience in complex heterogeneous environments
• Ability to move between high level architectural review/design and the “roll up the sleeves” level of actually doing all phases of an application delivery project
The successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen. Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Top Secret Clearance
The successful candidate must have an active U.S. Government Top Secret Security Clearance. Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. Failure to maintain or obtain the appropriate clearance and/or customer screening requirements may result in employment action up to and including termination.
Clearance Verification: This position requires successful verification of the stated security clearance to meet federal government customer requirements. You will be asked to provide clearance verification information prior to an offer of employment.
Candidates must be able to successfully complete and pass a Microsoft Cloud background screening. Required Cloud Screenings will be administered on a recurring bi-annual basis.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest) .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.