NuScale Power Nuclear Fuels Engineer 4 in United States
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Manager, Nuclear Analysis as part of the broader Nuclear Fuels department and working collaboratively with multiple NuScale engineering teams, this position provides technical leadership and innovation in the areas of reload methodology, nuclear design and analysis, fuel performance, physics, and fuels interfaces with system and subchannel analysis, fuel cycle development, and regulatory interfaces.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Develop and perform physics and safety analysis calculations using industry-standard core and fuel simulation tools such as CMS5, FRAPCON/FRAPTRAN, or equivalent industry codes.
Apply technical knowledge and experience in nuclear analysis and fuel performance concepts to lead development of advanced methods and support design, analysis, and licensing of the NuScale small modular nuclear reactor.
Lead technical development of licensing technical or topical reports and other licensing documentation, especially in areas of reload core design and safety analysis methods; participate in licensing interactions including interface with the government regulator in areas of technical responsibility.
Lead methodology development and conduct independent analysis and evaluations in areas of technical expertise to support development of a safe and economical design.
Work collaboratively within the Nuclear Fuels organization to ensure design and analysis interfaces are adequately managed, including with core design, fuel design, core thermal-hydraulics, and transient analysis.
Plan, organize, and perform innovative engineering assignments on a team dedicated to the development of an engineering project; interpret scope and requirements of projects; develop alternatives.
Prepare and verify engineering reports, system descriptions and specifications, drawings, calculations, and other design documents with particular emphasis on fuel performance. Provide resolutions to an assortment of problems of moderately complex scope that require creativity and innovation.
Mentor junior engineers in areas of subject matter expertise.
Perform other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
• Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
• Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity. Is able to create, read, and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
• Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
• Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
• Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization.
• Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
• Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1 preferred.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
• Education: A minimum of B.S. degree in Nuclear, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering from a four year accredited college or university is required. An advanced degree in Nuclear, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering is desirable.
• Experience: A minimum of eight years of full-time, directly relevant engineering experience is required. Experience in implementing engineering processes for core design and methodology development is required. Experience in thermal-hydraulics, transient safety analysis, and testing preferred.
• Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
• Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
• The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
• Ability to travel nationally and locally using common forms of transportation.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.
NuScale Power, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status. Pay and Benefits:
The target pay range for this position is $121,630 - $146,795 annually. The full pay range is $109,048 - $170,562.
At NuScale, compensation decisions are determined using factors such as relevant job-related skills, full-time working experience, education and training, equity within the department.
For information on employee benefits, please visit our Careers Overview page: Employee Benefits | NuScale Power (https://www.nuscalepower.com/en/about/careers/employee-benefits)