Abt Associates Finance & Administration (F&A) Director - Uganda Agricultural Systems & Institutional Strengthening in Uganda
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the field of international development, seeks qualified candidates for an upcoming USAID-funded Agricultural Systems and Institutional Strengthening project in Uganda. The objective of the program is to put Ugandan institutions on a true path to self-reliance and autonomy by improving their internal abilities to self-assess pain points and take intentional steps to make improvements. The program will work with both the public sector and private APEX organizations, improving business practices, enhancing relationship management, supporting institutional reorganization, and development of strategic plans and costed implementation plans.
The Finance and Administration (F&A) Director will be responsible for overall administrative and financial management, ensuring responsive financial systems to support robust and innovative institutional strengthening activities. This position is contingent upon a successful contract award to Abt Associates. Successful candidates will have a proven record of financial management on projects to achieve results. Successful candidates will have a proven record of managing a large results driven team.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, management, and direct supervision for the project’s finance and operations staff
- Oversee the development of administrative and operations management systems and processes required to support project implementation, ensuring compliance with USAID and Abt Associates policies and regulations, and terms of the project contract/agreement
- Develop, manage, and monitor project budgets, accurate financial reports, and projection of funding needs, in close coordination with senior project staff
- Support the startup, general operations, and closedown of the project
- Manage the financial operations and financial reporting of the project, providing guidance and technical assistance to financial management personnel
- Create and maintain financial reporting and tracking systems that provide basic data measurements on financial performance of project activities
- Provide ongoing financial administration to the project, including the processing of approvals for procurements, consultant agreements, and vendor invoices
- Manage the timely submission of the monthly field expenses (ROVs) to the headquarters office
- Oversee the development, execution, and management of subcontractor and consultant agreements
- Develop and implement accounting and reporting systems for project expenditures, and provide guidance and training to project staff and partners on financial procedures
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree (minimum) Master’s Degree (desirable) in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Management, or other relevant field
- At least 10 years of professional experience managing financial and contractual aspects of large international development projects
- Experience with USAID-funded projects required, preferably with contracts
- Significant experience managing and supervising financial, administrative and procurement personnel
- Demonstrated experience and skills in developing and managing large budgets, contracting, procurement, and inventory management
- Experience developing and managing results based contracts or grants
- Demonstrated supervisory skills and ability to work well on teams
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications and databases
- Familiarity with US Government Cost Accounting Standards, including Federal Acquisition Regulations (FARs) and USAID Acquisition Regulations (AIDARs)
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with an emphasis on budget and financial analysis
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor's degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.