Air National Guard Units IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK) in Springfield, Ohio
This National Guard position is for a IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK), Position Description Number D1822000 and is part of the 269th Combat Command Squadron, Ohio Air National Guard. The purpose of the position is to provide technical and analytical guidance and support for the design of information technology (IT) networks that interconnect tactical sites through a variety of transmission media, considering the needs of requesting agencies, tactics and doctrine.
Learn more about this agency
As a IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK), GS-2210-11, you will perform the following duties:
(1) Designs and engineers IT networks carried over various transmission systems such as multi-channel satellite, troposphere scatter systems, Line-Of-Sight (LOS) RF radios, LOS laser radios, and cable systems. Engineers and designs router-to-router connections utilizing military and commercial protocols, switch-to-switch trunking, circuit configurations through military and commercial multiplexers, and asynchronous transfer mode (ATM). Develops plans for employment of communications systems to support operations in support of training and the deployed warfighter.
(2) Plans and designs Wide Area Networks (WANs) consisting of Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) and Military Specification (MILSPEC) components to operate IAW accepted Information Technology (IT) security policies using network planning tools. Determines operational, technical and support requirements for the location, installation, operation and maintenance of network equipment and systems. Coordinates and conducts operational tests and evaluations of designed networks to optimize capabilities. Reviews and analyzes data, makes technical judgments, and prepares decisions and recommendations concerning the quality, acceptability, and/or need for changes/improvements.
(3) Utilizes a broad knowledge of IT concepts, principles, methods and practices to identify, coordinate, and implement actions required to provide network services that support a requesting agency's requirements. Identifies potential network and transmission deficiencies in planned or current operational networks.
(4) Manages frequency assignment and control of operating frequencies. Provides technical guidance and direction for different aspects of radio frequency spectrum analysis to the warfighter. Determines the compatibility of frequency assignments for fixed station and/or mobile radio, radar, satellite links, and other systems used by the military. Coordinates frequency assignments with DOD, MAJCOM, ANG, base, and unit spectrum managers. Conducts transmission path analysis (path profiling) with various computerized programs.
*The above duty description does not contain all details of the official position description. A copy of the entire position description can be found on FASCLASS by searching the position description (PD: D1822000). https://acpol2.army.mil/fasclass/searchfs/searchfasclass.asp
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
- Coordinators, Network
- Data Analyst
- Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
Conditions of Employment
- Ohio Air National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Ohio Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Ohio Air National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades:E-4 to E-7
Compatible Military Assignments AFSC: 3D0X0, 3D0X2, 3D0X3, 3D1X0, 3D1X1, 3D1X2, 3D1X3
**Current Top Secret Security Clearance or ability to obtain Top Secret Security Clearance
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory**.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience - For the GS-5 level, a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree may be substituted for the experience requirements. At the GS-7 level, one full year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement. At the GS-9 level, a masters or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree may be substituted. At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree. Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
If you are using Education to qualify for this position, you must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
If serving under an incentive contract, termination of that incentive(s) will occur effective one day prior to your AGR, Permanent Military Technician, or Indefinite Military Technician start date. Temporary Military Technicians will have their incentive terminated if their tour exceeds 179 days in a continuous 12-month period.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Data and Content Management, Decision Making, and Information Management
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume showing current Military grade, current AFSC, current unit of assignment, work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment, and all duties performed.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
OH 178 ISR Wing 801 Fontaine Lane Springfield, OH 45501 US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513759400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/15/2018 to 11/15/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Salary: $62,672 to $81,476 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time