BIC Corporation Packaging Engineer in Shelton, United States
Shelton, CT 06484, USA
BIC® products are known and appreciated all over the world for their quality, their affordability and ease of use. The ballpoint pen, the pocket lighter, the one-piece shaver are all part of the daily lives of millions of consumers. These products make BIC® one of the best known international brands, present in 3.2 million retail outlets, in more than 160 countries.
As we explore the tremendous opportunities ahead, we have a need for dedicated and dynamic employees to help build our team. With a strong commitment to encouraging future and current team members to “Unlock the Best You!” the BIC People Promise reinforces the principle that people are at the heart of its business success. BIC is committed to its team members and to the promise of helping them unlock their full potential.
The Packaging Engineer Trainee (PET) will be responsible for assisting the Stationery Packaging Engineer in developing primary and secondary packaging along with primary packaging for bonus packs, club packs and customer retail ready packaging samples. The PET responsibilities will include the following:
Samples from suppliers
NISTs- New Item Bill of Material Setuo - Check and balance for the Everyday Stationery Engineer
JDE Weights and Dimensions, Packaging Instructions
BIC Flow – Create and upload structural packaging specification
The PET’s goal is to develop their knowledge and skills to be responsible for the following Stationery primary packaging:
Club Packs (trapped blisters, clamshells, mock clams, shrink wraps)
Bonus Packs (face seal blisters, pouches)
Custom Primary Packs (packed in displays only)
Main Responsibilities / Tasks
Reporting to the Stationery Packaging Engineer, the Packaging Engineer Trainee is responsible for providing packaging options that meet the requirements of our customers. The ideal candidate will have experience in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry planning and executing projects from conception thru to commercialization, working cross functionally with different internal departments (Customer Marketing, Brand Design, Sales, etc.).
Among the more specific aspects of the position are the following:
• Manage multiple packaging projects, package development, value analysis, and cost savings initiatives.
• Packaging specification development for all channels.
• Develop and implement packaging concepts by interfacing with Marketing, Sales, Trade Marketing, Supply Chain/Operations and suppliers.
• Requires high level of original, independent and innovative thinking applied to complex projects, goals and objectives; a high level of ability to develop methods, procedures, techniques and ideas in new, undefined and rapidly changing situations.
• A degree of ability to facilitate problem solving and decision making.
Contact with Others:
• Manage all aspects of third party-supplier relationships including assigning bills of material and reducing packaging costs.
• Develop strong relationships and communicate effectively to manage projects with Brand Managers, Product Development, Purchasing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Suppliers, and global counterparts.
• Hold discussions during product team meetings; communicate technical issues and details to the project team and management.
• Must be able to work across the full management environment including working with BIC senior management.
• Bachelor’s Degree Required. Preferably in Packaging Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
• 1-5 years of packaging development and commercialization experience in CPG environment.
• Ability to work effectively in a deadline intensive environment.
• Strong communication/interpersonal skills
• Strategic and tactical decision-making ability using sound scientific principles and data
• Demonstrated ability to direct suppliers through design, development and improvement projects
• Self-starter, proactive and career focused with the ability to work with minimal supervision
• Ability to develop and nurture cross-functional relationships.
Requires a strong level of business knowledge, experience, skill and ability for the consumer products industry. This requires the same high degree of working knowledge of:
Packaging equipment and material systems
Software packages, including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), AutoCAD, TOPS and Adobe Illustrator.
Project Management related skills and techniques such as:
Communication - oral and written
Decision making and problem solving
Group presentations and/or leading meetings
Ability to deal with ambiguity, change and a dynamic business environment
Business Partnering: proven ability to develop strong relationships and partnerships with internal/external customers, peers and effectively managing those relationships.
Apply Today! There's never been a better time to join BIC! We're a dynamic company with a strong vision. You will find a wealth of possibilities in a challenging and rewarding work environment. As an organization, we have a passion for taking care of our people, and our benefits reflect this.
BIC Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Videos To Watch