Cisco Technical Lead - Senior Cloud DevOps Engineer in San Francisco, California
Cisco Cloud Security Group is at the forefront of developing cloud-delivered security needs and challenges of our customers. With an annual revenue exceeding $200M, it is one of the fastest growing businesses at Cisco. As Cisco is transforming its business model aggressively to a software and recurring revenue model, our cloud security business is leading this journey with 100%+ YoY growth in software recurring revenue.
Why is cloud security relevant? Because today's world has changed. The way we work has fundamentally changed. There is more roaming users than ever with rapid growth of BYOD. Business applications have moved to cloud. Enterprise's critical infrastructure has been moving to public/private cloud. At the same time, threat landscape has drastically changed with increased sophistication of attacks. The notion of traditional perimeter-based security is being redefined. Since users, apps and infrastructure have all moved to cloud, security must too. Welcome to the team of geeks passionate about solving this very problem and making world a better place…a secure place.
We have a highly scalable cloud infrastructure spread across 25 data centers where we run our cloud security applications that operate at massive scale - 100B+ requests per day from 65M daily active users.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for building and maintaining the infrastructure automation powering a variety of projects that directly help strengthen our security and compliance posture.
- You will build a lasting set of developer operations, processes and architectures that will have direct correlation to Umbrella’s go to market strategy.
- You will work and mentor junior engineers and lead a culture of architectural and operational excellence.
- Architect and manage Infrastructure-as-Code deployments (e.g. Terraform, Kubernetes, or similar).
- Dive into the hard problems leading to systemic issues that others can’t.
- Assess the security of our core app, recommend improvement opportunities, drive remediation effort.
- Help us integrate security at all phases of the development process by reviewing vulnerability tests and other internal and external assessments, remediate items, provide feedback and coaching to Product and Dev teams
- Work with other security advocates in the organization to drive adoption of standards, and build tools to make developers’ lives easier and our products more secure.
- Perform vulnerability assessments, threat modeling and routine security posture reviews.
- Help your team deliver the most secure platform that can achieve the highest level of security certifications.
Who You'll Work With:
This Core Platform team builds and operates the core application’s services and infrastructure that thousands of our customers rely on to lead their dashboard settings including security policy configurations for their respective organizations. This core services includes the backend data access layer, API layer and the DB layer that processes and stores millions of configuration and customer data.
The Cloud Security group focuses on developing cloud delivered security solutions (SaaS based) in a platform centric approach. This group was formed a couple of years ago by combining some of existing cloud assets Cisco had with two hugely successful acquisitions - OpenDNS and CloudLock. Our vision is to build the most complex security solutions in a cloud delivered way with utmost simplicity - disrupt industry's thinking around how deep and how broad a security solution can be while keeping it easy to deploy and simple to handle. We are at an exciting stage of this journey and looking for a hardworking, innovative and willing to take action engineering leader to build next-gen cloud security solutions like Cloud Firewall, IPS, IDS etc.
Who You Are:
- Experience with building and operating highly available and distributed cloud SaaS platform.
- In depth experience with developing user-facing APIs using modern API gateways.
- Proficient in deployment, automation and scripting using Terraform, Ansible, Python and Bash.
- Deep expertise with AWS.
- You know your way around the command line and are close friends with lsof, strace, tcpdump, and their associates.
- You are able to release software. You can build Debian packages, publish them to APT repositories, and get them deployed. You also know how to have a rollback strategy in case things don’t go as planned.
- Experience running Kubernetes clusters and docker containers
- Experience building Debian packages using Jenkins for CI/CD pipelines
- Familiarity with Prometheus and Datadog for alerting and monitoring
- Experience running large-scale, distributed relational and NoSQL databases
Cisco Cloud Security enables you to securely adopt the cloud and better manage security for the way the world works today. It protects users against threats anywhere they access the internet and secures your data and applications in the cloud. You can also demonstrate the cloud to enhance security through simplified policy management and dynamic threat intelligence. With Cisco Cloud Security, you gain complete visibility into internet activity across cloud applications, all office locations, and roaming devices, plus faster threat detection and response. Cisco Cloud Security provides an effective security platform that is open, automated, and simple to use. And it’s backed by industry-leading threat information delivered by the Cisco Talos security intelligence and research group.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re "old" (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do - you can’t put us in a box!
But "Digital Transformation" is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.