University of Utah Associate Producer in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 10/14/2021
Requisition Number PRN28032B
Job Title Production Assistant
Working Title Associate Producer
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
4 a.m. to Noon
VP Area President
Department 00335 - KUER
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $17/hr. - $20/hr.
Open Until Filled Yes
KUER is seeking a curious and vibrant morning person to assist in the production of program materials for local and live, weekday broadcast of NPR’s Morning Edition. The job requires a passion for news and a strong attention to details and accuracy. The associate producer will perform a wide range of functions including, but not limited to: assisting the host by identifying stories, writing news copy, managing social media accounts, producing digital version of newscasts, and vetting and scheduling guests.
- Assist Morning Edition host with production of local written and audio news content
- Under the direction of Morning Edition host, identify and write news copy for newscasts
- Assist host with scheduling of newscast content
- Assist in production of written and audio “news brief” for web and digital platforms
- In coordination with digital team & host, manage social media content
- Monitor news wire, social media and other sources to identify breaking news for morning newscast or to forward to dayside news team
- In coordination with news director and Morning Edition host, schedule guests and produce interviews for radio and web
- Other newsroom research and production as assigned
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Associate degree in Communications, Journalism, English, Media Arts, or a related field, or equivalency; one year previous experience; and demonstrated analytical, oral and written communication skills required.
Department Specific Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience writing for broadcast
- Detail oriented with an eye to high standards of accuracy
- Must be able to work well under deadline pressure
- Must have solid news judgment and commitment to journalistic ethics
- Excellent communicator, team player and problem solver
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong computer skills with familiarity with linear audio editing software, ideally Adobe Audition
- Knowledge of public radio programming preferred
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or protected veteran’s status. The University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education program or activity that it operates, as required by Title IX and 34 CFR part 106. The requirement not to discriminate in education programs or activities extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its regulations may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, to the Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, or both.
To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability or if you or someone you know has experienced discrimination or sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, you may contact the Director/Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action:
Director/ Title IX Coordinator
Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action ( OEO /AA)
135 Park Building
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Online reports may be submitted at oeo.utah.edu
For more information: https://www.utah.edu/nondiscrimination/
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org (%email@example.com) or call 801-581-2300.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.