SCO Family of Services Community Integration and Life Skills Coordinator in Queens, New York
_PURPOSE OF THE POSITION_: To assist residents in making a successful transition from highly structured children’s institutional and residential programs to a lower level of care by preparing the young adult residents for independence and integration into the community.
- _SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:_
- Develops, facilitates and oversees community integration and life skills activities and groups for the program.
- Community integration and life skills categories include but are not limited to the following:
- Health Management (e.g. medication management, health resource and system navigation, making and keeping appointments, wellness):·Symptom management·Mental Health Care and Management·Physical Health Care and Management·Medication Management
- Core/Basic Skills (e.g. finances, safety, grooming):·Money Management (budgeting, paying bills)·Safety·Personal Hygiene·Appearance and Presentation (how to dress appropriate to occasion- where to buy clothes)
- Daily Living (e.g. managing a household, shopping, cleaning, healthy eating)·Household chores (basic cleaning, caring for possessions and living space)·Nutrition & Food Preparation (basics of cooking, adjusted to individual skill level) (basics, including drug interactions with current medications)·Shopping (within a budget, using coupons, using a list, planning ahead)·Transportation
- Social Skills (e.g. interpersonal skills, avoiding or dealing with neighbor disputes, developing self- confidence and social networks):·Social Relations·Leisure and Recreational Activities
- Educational/Vocational Skills (e.g. employment focused activities/skills):·Job Search·Job Redinness/Retention
- Housing/Shelter Needs
- Completes the initial comprehensive functional assessment within 30 days of admission and updates at least annually.
- Develops individual life skills plans with person-centered goals within 60 days of admission and updates at least every 6 months.
- Completes quarterly individual life skills reports and makes recommendations for ongoing service needs and skill development.
- Completes monthly progress notes for each resident; ensuring that services corresponds to the current life skills plan.
- Locates, recommends, and involves residents in community programs.
- Orders supplies and equipment needed for group/house activities with prior approval of program director.
- Assist /facilitates weekly house counsel meetings with residents and staff.
- Incident reporting as needed
- Assist with the development and implementation of behavior management strategies.
- Attends in-service training as indicated.
- Serve as a linkage between weekday and weekend staff, including working weekends.
- Work in collaboration with the care coordination team assigned to each resident.
- Performs other duties as requested.
_RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS_
- Be team players.
- Have a strong sensitivity to cultural differences present among staff and clients within our organization.
- Possess a strong belief in people’s ability to grow and change; forge a mutually respectful partnership with persons served and their families.
Ability to set limits and maintain helping role of practitioner and to intervene appropriately.
- WORKING CONDITIONS:*
This position requires working in a residential setting with residents and other staff on site daily; COVID 19 precautions such as mask wearing; temperature checks and daily risk assessments are required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a human services field and 5 years’ experience working with young adults with mental health, behavioral health and/or DD/IDD diagnoses; Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with independent living skills training and residential experience a plus
·Acceptable clearance checks for State Central Register, Driver license and fingerprinting as required by the program.
·Compliance with health regulations for physical/mantoux testing.
·Attending NCI class for certification/re-certification and passing a test upon completion of course is a minimum requirement for employment.
Title: Community Integration and Life Skills Coordinator
Location: New York-Queens-Briarwood
Requisition ID: 43761