Columbia University Staff Associate in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number 00001501
Field(s) of Specialization
Position Title Staff Associate
Department G&D Genetics & Development
Division Genetics & Development
Location Medical Center
Columbia University Irving Medical Center’s Department of Genetics and Development seeks to hire successful candidate for the position of Staff Associate. The incumbent will be expected to be an active member of the research team and to supervise and coordinate laboratory operation and protocols to ensure optimal performance of personnel and equipment and utilization of space and supplies.
Scientific operations management responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Maintaining mouse colonies, genotyping, flow cytometry, transplantation experiments, cell culture, cell biology, molecular biology, confocal imaging, histological analyses, etc. Experience in these techniques especially familiarity with mouse experiments and flow cytometry is highly desired.
• Help to plan research, execute experiments and research tasks, and help to plan future research strategy. Scientific growth will be encouraged, and research projects will be assigned as needed.
• Provide assistance to other projects and collaborate with other labs/external collaborators/subcontractors as assigned.
• Participation to laboratory meetings and other scientific presentations as well as provide assistance in writing reports and figures/manuscript preparation.
• Train lab staff/others in use of techniques and equipment.
• Supervise students and staff. Sign time sheets and provide feedback on performance.
• Purchase laboratory equipment and supplies, manage supply inventory, manage service contracts, and maintain relationships with vendors. Work closely with Stem Cell Initiative administrative coordinator on procurement activities.
• Management of mouse colonies – genotyping, husbanding, import/export of animals, etc. Point person to Comparative Medicine on management of the lab colonies.
• Management of equipment—calibrate, perform maintenance, establish controls and standards
• Management of several databases (computer and stocks) – familiarity with database management desired
• Oversee and coordinate multiple ongoing protocols. Maintain records for the lab and ensure compliance with safety protocols and other relevant policies. Coordinate inspections and report/respond to concerns as needed.
• Work closely with administrative and financial personnel to ensure proper documentation and compliance with grant and other administrative policies.
Minimum Degree Required
Bachelor’s or equivalent.
The applicant should be self-motivated and possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. He/she should also have outstanding organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, and be able to work independently as well as within a team. Success in this position will require pro activity, attention to detail and willingness to learn.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, as we as software related to lab activities, such as Prism, Flow Jo, Illustrator, and statistical software.
• Master’s degree strongly preferred.
• Supervisory experience in a laboratory environment, track record of scientific achievements, direct mouse and flow cytometry experience.
RAPS posting date 02/18/2020
Search Closing Date
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Proposed Start Date
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Quick Link http://pa334.peopleadmin.com/postings/5284
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
List of References
- Cover Letter