General Electric Senior/ Principal Scientist, Hollow Fiber Membrane Technology in Marlborough, Massachusetts
Role Summary:The GE Healthcare is seeking a technical leader to provide critical membrane and filtration expertise in support of existing hollow fiber technologies, as well as future development projects relating to our membrane filtration technologies. Be a key technical leader in Upstream Bioprocess R&D and own technical solutions for hollow fiber development and manufacturing, including providing leadership expertise for design, development, production and application of single-use filtration products.
Essential Responsibilities:The Senior Scientist would be a key technical leader in Upstream Bioprocess R&D. The hollow fiber technology is a critical component in manufacturing of life-saving therapies such as monoclonal antibodies, and cell and gene therapies. The hollow fiber filters are broadly used for bioprocess intensification leading to better, lower cost biopharmaceuticals. Thus, the demand for hollow fiber has been growing and will continue to grow above market average, and next generation filters are highly needed in the Bioprocess industry. The Senior Scientist role is expected to own technical solutions for hollow fiber development and manufacturing, and provide expertise and leadership for design, development, production and application knowledge of single-use filtration products. This position requires strong expertise in membrane science, teamwork in a cross-functional global environment, and demonstrated ability to translate technical concepts into business decisions. This position would also require great communication skills and ability to present to the executive management internally, as well as to the biopharmaceutical customers.
The successful candidate should have in-depth technical knowledge of membranes and filtration, and sound business acumen as well as excellent communication skills to work across multiple internal teams and with customers.
• Function as an internal and external technical expert and leader for single-use filtration development and manufacturing.
• Function as an internal and external technical expert for single-use bioprocessing equipment, products, processing and applications specific to filtration products.
• Lead, inspire and mentor R&D project teams in the development of the hollow fiber product line
• Interface directly with internal and external customers and suppliers to troubleshoot current manufacturing and quality issues
• Self-manage tasks and coordinate project priorities with business partners
• Establish and maintain knowledge of competitors and competing products/technologies
• Provide scientific and technical leadership for application notes, reports, publications and presentations
* Candidates should note that this role will be in scope for the proposed transition of GE Biopharma to Danaher and will transfer to Danaher at close of this transaction. *
Qualifications/Requirements:• Bachelor’s degree in either; Chemical Engineering, Plastics/Polymer Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Material Science, BioEngineering or related field.
• 5+ years’ experience working in membrane development, manufacturing, biopharmaceutical processing, pilot production or related experience and familiarity with both upstream and downstream processes.
• Knowledge of bio-compatible material selection for sterile single-use application in bio-processing and/or medical device applications.
• Strong understanding of membrane materials, properties, manufacturing processes, and product assembly.
• Awareness of GMP and governmental regulations related to drug manufacturing sufficient to appreciate the need for documentation accuracy.
• Excellent communication and influencing skills and ability to gain buy-in for initiatives.
• Theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience with membrane characterization methods such as AFM, SEM, Porometry, Rheometry etc. .
Desired Characteristics:• Master's or PhD degree in either; Chemical Engineering, Plastics/Polymer Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Material Science, BioEngineering or related field.
• 10+ years’ experience working in membrane development, manufacturing, biopharmaceutical processing, pilot production or related experience and familiarity with both upstream and downstream processes.
About Us:GE Healthcare Life Sciences www.corporate.gehealthcare.com There is no other life sciences company quite like GE Healthcare Life Sciences. A $5 billion business with more than 11,000 individuals in over 100 countries, we are at work enabling a new era in medicine. For more than 60 years, GE Healthcare Life Sciences has globally supported the development and use of new therapies, helping accelerate the journey from biological understanding to clinical therapy. GE Healthcare Life Sciences works with cutting edge technology enabling and advancing the discovery, diagnosis and medical treatments of the present and the future. We are accelerating biology to cell therapy in ways no other company can. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and watch our discoveries in action on our YouTube channel.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).Additional Locations:United States;Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island;Marlborough, Worcester, Westborough, Boston, Hartford, Nashua, Providence;