MUFG Union Bank Assistant Vice President, Banking and Structured Finance Lawyer in London, United Kingdom
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world. Across the globe, we’re 180,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
With a vision to be the world’s most trusted financial group, it’s part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. This means investing in talent, technologies, and tools that empower you to own your career.
Join MUFG, where being inspired is expected and making a meaningful impact is rewarded.
MUFG (Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group) is one of the world's leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with approximately 350 years of history, MUFG is a global network with around 2,300 offices in over 50 countries including the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Asia and Oceania, and East Asia. The group has over 150,000 employees, offering services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
As one of the top financial groups globally with a vison to be the world's most trusted, we want to attract, nurture and retain the most talented individuals in the market. The size and range of MUFG's global business creates opportunities for our employees to stretch themselves and reap the rewards, whilst our common values, to behave with integrity and responsibility, and to build a culture which is fair, transparent, and honest, underpin everything that we do.
We aim to be the financial partner of choice for our clients, whatever their requirements, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
MUFG’s shares trade on the Tokyo, Nagoya, and New York (NYSE: MTU) stock exchanges. The group’s operating companies include, but are not limited to, MUFG Bank, Ltd., Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking (Japan's leading trust bank), Mitsubishi UFJ Securities Holdings (one of Japan's largest securities firms), and MUFG Americas Holdings.
Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
The EMEA Legal department’s principal functions are to:
· Provide legal services and legal advice to each international securities business and banking businesses
· Draft, review and negotiate contractual documentation, whether transactional or non-transactional
· Provide structuring, legal and execution advice in relation to transactions and new business
· Provide transaction management support for securities issues and financing transactions arranged or underwritten by an international securities business
· Evaluate legal risk business is conducted in a lawful and professional manner
· Identify and advise on the implementation of new laws and regulations
· Provide legal oversight of regulatory matters and government affairs
· Manage all disputes, litigation, regulatory proceedings and other contentious matters
· Manage and approve all use of law firms
Main purpose of the role :
An exciting new opportunity has emerged for an AVP Legal Counsel to join MUFG EMEA Legal Department, based in London, covering a broad range of banking and structured finance transactions including project finance, leverage finance, aviation finance, fund finance, hedging/ derivative transactions.
· In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing legal support and managing documentation risk across MUFG’s banking arm and securities business under a dual-hat arrangement. Under this arrangement, the employee will act and make decisions on behalf of both the bank and the securities business, subject to the same remit and level of authority, and irrespective of the entity which employs them.
· Advise on, participate in and implement Firm and International Business transactions, proceedings, actions, projects and initiatives.
· Provide legal advice, review draft and negotiate documentation and provide all related transaction management and project management for:
o A broad range of banking transactions including Project Finance, Asset Finance, Leverage Finance, Fund Finance.
o Structured products and transactions (cash & synthetic, funded & unfunded structured transactions covering a variety of asset classes) warehouse financing, structured repos and TRS.
o Review, draft and negotiate transaction documents, term-sheets, client presentations and provide all related transaction management.
o Derivatives documentation including ISDA, CSA and other finance linked hedging documentation.
o Other forms of market standard trading documentation as well as bespoke and market standard bond, loan, derivative, foreign exchange, index, forward, options and any other type of documents.
· Advise and assist business units in the structuring and the setting-up of new & complex products and new business initiatives.
· Directly interact with the Firm’s clients, both in negotiating agreements and in assisting the business unit in explaining products to clients.
· Provide legal advice and support with respect to strategic, legal and documentation matters and initiatives in relation to structuring transactions.
· Advise on the legal, regulatory and reputational issues arising in transactions and in the non-transactional aspects of the operation and business activities of the Firm (both regionally and internationally) and work closely with the wider EMEA and International legal teams to serve business seamlessly as One MUFG.
· Provide training on legal and regulatory issues to employees of the Firm and the International Business.
· Participate in industry forums and working groups.
· Participate in working groups and committees of the Firm and the International Business.
Skills and experience:
· A minimum of 2 year’s PQE in UK or equivalent jurisdiction, preferably at an in-house legal department or leading law firm with primary experience in general banking, derivatives and/or structured products.
· Demonstrate commercial awareness of the latest market issues and regulatory changes.
· Excellent banking and structured finance experience with ability to identify and manage legal and reputational risk, together with the related regulatory background.
· Ability to build effective and positive client relationships quickly and fully embrace the importance of client service.
· Ability to explain complex legal concepts to a non-technical audience.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written & verbal
· Team player
· Proactive and enthusiastic
· Pragmatic, curious and commercially minded
· Ability to speak/read another language is desirable although not essential
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.