City of Las Cruces, NM Administrative Assistant in Las Cruces, New Mexico
Las Cruces, NM
H003 11-23 LL
12/4/2023 11:59 PM Mountain
Nature of Work
Performs a wide variety of administrative support duties of a highly responsible and confidential nature to support section management and staff.
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies. Performs a wide variety of administrative support duties of a highly responsible and confidential nature to support section management and staff.
Work is performed in a standard office environment. Light physical demands; mostly desk work. Frequent to constant use of a personal computer.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
This recruitment will be used to fill a full-time, regular, non-exempt position in the Public Works Department, but may be used to fill other Administrative Assistant positions in other City Departments.
This position is graded RN08.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Coordinates office activities, maintains departmental calendars, schedules and coordinates meetings, and makes facility reservations; develops, recommends, and implements office procedures and systems to ensure efficient operations and support functions of the assigned section.
• Interacts with customers to provide the appropriate level of assistance and response to inquiries, issues of concern, and requests for information, or explanation, regarding various services, processes, policies, and procedures; may refer matters requiring interpretation, or technical expertise, to the appropriate staff for action and resolution.
• Takes messages and/or refers calls and inquiries to the appropriate person; provides information, as authorized, of a specialized nature regarding policies, procedures and programs to provide timely and accurate assistance and information.
• Creates, reviews, maintains, and updates records in various automated systems, formats, and mediums to ensure data integrity and adherence to internal controls, practices, and policies.
• Processes various transactions, prepares, distributes, and tracks information, completes necessary forms and packets as authorized and directed in accordance with established policies and procedures; develops and updates relevant standard operating procedures to maintain current documentation of processes.
• Researches and compiles a variety of information and data; prepares and presents various special and recurring reports related to projects, inquiries, customer service issues, and departmental functions to meet established deadlines.
• Accurately prepares a variety of correspondence, memorandums, agreements, meeting minutes, reports, technical specifications, and other documents according to established standards and requirements to assure correct and consistent format, English grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
• May assist in the administration of department budgets, procurement processes, process invoices and payments, and other accounting functions to maintain appropriate records and documentation.
• May order supplies and maintain various inventories; prepare, route, and maintain personnel related documents and maintain personnel/confidential employee records and files; collect and process time reporting records; serve as recording secretary on various committees or boards to record and transcribe minutes; make travel arrangements and complete and process various forms and applications.
• May provide oversight and training to other support staff to ensure established processes and procedures are followed; prioritize and develop schedules to ensure appropriate levels of service and support; review work to verify accuracy, completeness, and compliance to regulations, policies, and procedures.
Administrative Assistant is distinguished from other administrative support classes by providing support to a Section Administrator. As such, incumbents apply specific knowledge of policies and procedures of an assigned Section in order to organize and coordinate work, relieve the Section Administrator of the more routine administrative detail, and serves in a confidential role to the Section Administrator.
Equivalent to a high school diploma PLUS four (4) years of experience performing advanced administrative support functions utilizing basic and specialized computer applications. Equivalent to an Associate Degree in Computer Technology, Pre-Business, or related field may be preferred. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Valid driver's license and Notary Public registration may be required or preferred. If applicable, position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policies. Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) may be preferred. Additional technical certifications and training may be required for some incumbents in this job class.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Considerable knowledge of: principles and techniques of current office management practices and procedures; customer service and effective communication principles, standards, and methods; records management principles and record keeping practices; methods and standards for preparing business correspondence, appropriate business English, spelling, grammar, punctuation, proofreading and editing; business mathematics; fundamental principles of accounting and budgeting; modern office equipment, business and personal computers, business office software applications, and report generation; City organization and related regulations, operations, and policies and procedures to effectively perform the required functions and duties of the position.
Ability to: perform a variety of duties and responsibilities and assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands to meet critical deadlines; ensure appropriate levels of customer service to achieve expectations and meet objectives; read, understand, and assure compliance with a variety of policies, procedures and regulations governing related activities, programs, and functions; research and compile applicable information and maintain accurate records; maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and data; communicate effectively and appropriately in verbal and written forms; prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations; review documents and extract relevant information; establish and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public; firmly and impartially lead and direct the activities of staff; present a positive image; timely and accurately enter data and generate reports using a personal computer with basic and specialized software applications in performing daily functions.
Skills in: using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; reading, understanding, and applying policies, procedures, and applicable rules and regulations; assessing needs, developing, recommending, and implementing effective solutions; researching, analyzing, and synthesizing data, evaluating alternatives and making logical recommendations based on findings; preparing accurate reports and appropriate business correspondence; updating information, files, and records in various formats and mediums with speed and accuracy; reviewing, evaluating, and verifying financial records, mathematical calculations and account documentation; updating financial information, maintaining accurate records, and identifying and reconciling errors; operating standard office equipment and a personal computer with installed generic and specialized software; preparing and presenting information in a clear and concise manner; demonstrating effective interpersonal communication skills, building consensus among groups or individuals, and conflict resolution; maintaining objectivity and freedom from prejudice, and exercising judgment and understanding in daily interactions with customers.
To view a summary of benefits offered by the City of Las Cruces,
Click here (http://www.las-cruces.org/207/Employee-Benefits)
Are you a current City of Las Cruces employee? (If you fail to include this information under the work experience section of your application, you may be disqualified from the process).
Do you have, at a minimum, the required high school diploma or equivalent (GED)? (If you fail to include this information under the education section of your application, you may be disqualified from the process.)
Do you have, at a minimum, four (4) years of experience performing advanced administrative support functions utilizing basic and specialized computer applications? (If you fail to include this information under the work experience section of your application, you may be disqualified from the process.)
Do you have a valid driver's license?
If you answered "yes" to the previous question above, please indicate the type of license, license number, expiration date, any restrictions or endorsements, and the state that issued the license. If none, type N/A.
Although not required, bilingual skills in English/Spanish are desirable. Do you meet this preference?
An equivalent to an Associate Degree in Computer Technology, Pre-Business, or related field may be preferred. Do you meet this preference?
A Notary Public registration may be required or preferred. Do you currently have a Notary Public registration?
City of Las Cruces
P.O. Box 20000Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88004
Please verify your email addressVerify Email