New York Life Insurance Company Business Intelligence Solution Lead in Jersey City, New Jersey
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life’s surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
The Business Intelligence Solution Lead role is to strategically design and implement BI software and systems, including integration with databases and data warehouses. This includes selecting, blueprinting, gathering requirements, designing, and rolling out BI solutions to end users.
We are looking for a BI practitioner/expert, that has spanned the full BI Stack, from ETL to Data Hub to Reporting and Analysis; Yet, hands-on skills are also critical in order to stay agile and connected with the team as well as staying abreast of technology/products in the BI space
Serve as point of contact for user community with the BI Development team. Provide technical consulting and advice to application development teams across the firm that are either current or prospective users of the technology that our department offers to support Data Integration, Reporting and Analytics.
Manage and/or consult on the architecture and design of solutions in the BI space. Developing innovative solutions or improvements that will result in enhancements to current methods, procedures and processes.
The core responsibilities of this role include:
- Assess and cultivate long-term strategic goals for BI development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Act as evangelist for BI across the organization; promoting BI usage to relevant departments.
- Direct, organize, and lead projects in the implementation and use of new BI software tools and systems.
- Development of the semantic layer, meta-data, reports, and report definitions.
- Assist in the design of data hub to ensure interoperability with BI solutions.
- Assist with installation, configuration and maintenance of new/existing hardware and software infrastructure. For example: Setting up user accounts, permissions and passwords; interacting with other infrastructure groups (i.e. Engineering)
- Ability to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues in an efficient and timely manner. Coordinating with other team members to resolve problems as necessary
- Analyze user requirements and, based on findings, design functional specifications for BI front-end applications.
- Design and deliver end-user training, best practices and training materials; provide technical support as necessary.
- Troubleshoot BI tools, systems, and software; performance-tune these applications as necessary.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on BI products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Mentor and/or provide leadership to junior members of the team.
- Working with other internal infrastructure teams to build, manage and problem-solve
- Working with BI technology vendors to resolve problems and suggest enhancements
- Working in a high-pressured environment
- Experience with integrating 3rd party products into enterprise infrastructure
- Strong ability to analyze user requirements, make recommendations and implement solution
- Experience in migrating content between various BI environments
- Full project management and development life cycle experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute in high-pressured environment
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
- Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
** Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company’s long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.