Ducommun Buyer in Coxsackie, New York
Who are we?
Founded in 1849, Ducommun is the oldest company in California. Starting as a hardware supply store during the California Gold Rush and eventually assisted in the birth of the aerospace industry in Southern California by providing aircraft aluminum to early aerospace pioneers like Lindbergh, Douglas and Lockheed.
Today Ducommun is a global provider of innovative manufacturing solutions for customers in the aerospace, defense and industrial markets. We specialize in electronic and structural systems, producing complex products and components for commercial aircraft platforms, mission-critical military and space programs, and sophisticated industrial applications.
Our Facility in Coxsackie, NY manufactures large, complex contoured structural components and assemblies for aerospace and other applications. Our integrated processes include stretch-forming, thermal-forming, chemical processing, precision fabrication, machining, finishing processes, and integration of components into subassemblies.
· Excellent company culture – as recognized by Newsweek’s Top 100 Most Loved Workplaces
· Opportunity for career growth
· Great benefits including paid vacation and sick time, 401K match, Employee Stock Purchase Program, annual bonus plan, and tuition reimbursement
The Commodity Buyer is responsible for the purchase of diversified items (supplies, materials, services, subcontracting) on a competitive basis by request of internal users within buying authority per policy. Manage activities in such a manner to procure items at the optimal price and delivery schedule while maintaining lowest possible inventory levels. Establish and maintain vendor relations, analyze and reconcile problems pertaining to procurement and accounting, negotiate price, terms and conditions, while establish delivery schedules. Support program management, production, inventory control and other site functional areas in all aspects of procurement activity.
· Maintains documentation of all activities related to requisitions, quotations and purchases
· Reviews requisitions, purchase orders, PRP generated orders for accuracy and conformance with established policies and procedures
· Confers with individuals who submit requisitions to determine needs and delivery schedules
· Utilizes integrated ERP system to perform transactions for creating purchase orders, purchase order changes, inquiries, printing reports, entering of data, resolving exceptions, and any other functions as trained and instructed
· Consults catalogs, Internet, DCO Supply Chain site partners and other sources of information to find sources of supply, obtain benchmark prices and specifications. Investigates potential suppliers and recommends those most desirable
· Verifies invoices from suppliers with purchase orders and approves invoices for payment. Resolves any discrepancies
· Establishes good vendor relations and serve as a liaison between company and suppliers for resolution of problems
· Contacts vendors, places orders, verifies that supplier or product is approved, if necessary, negotiates price, negotiates delivery schedule and payment terms, coordinates pickups/deliveries and solicits quotations (oral and/or verbal) for items within buying authority per policy and/or as instructed
· Contacts vendors and follows up on outstanding quotations and purchases. Confers with vendor concerning late deliveries. Notifies appropriate internal personnel of late deliveries and reschedules
· Takes reasonable action necessary to carry out assigned responsibilities. Actions must be consistent with sound purchasing principals and within company policy
· Establishes monitors and updates lead times for materials and subcontracting. Timely enters the information in the ERP system
· Sets up extended purchase agreements as instructed and authorized
· Responsible for all Capital Appropriation Requisition (CAR) items
· Analyzes information and makes decisions with regards to “make or buy”
· Arranges and participates in conferences between suppliers and company personnel
· Ensures Suppliers meet the Companies KPI’s for Quality and Delivery.
· Responsible for the proper handling and management of hazardous waste generated in their work area
· Performs other duties and assignments as directed by management
Skills & Qualifications
· Strong analytical and communications skills
· Conscientious, organized and meticulous – records must be accurate and maintained in a timely manner
· Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision to meet deadlines
· Ability to work under pressure
· AS9100 Knowledge
· Team oriented with a continuous improvement outlook
· Ability to lead group towards a common goal for continuous improvement
· Good verbal communication skills – able to share information in-group settings and on a “one-to-one”, explain things and answer questions both in person and by phone in a clear and understandable manner
· Good written communication skills – able to compose memos, use internal email system and Internet email, record information accurately, compile and organize information
· Computer literate in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Windows, and experience with integrated ERP systems
· Read, understand and interpret procedures and practices, purchase orders, terms and conditions and any other documentation related to procurement
· Ability to make independent judgments with regards to vendor selection and evaluation of quotes based upon factors other than price
· Knowledge of standard purchasing procedures and practices, procurement laws and regulations, market conditions sources of supply, and items within assigned responsibility
· Demonstrated professional ethics, tact and courtesy in dealing with vendors
· Skill in performing arithmetic computations accurately – add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate percentage discounts and sales tax, perform unit of measure conversions
· Exercise initiative, judgment and independence in the selection and procurement of items
· Knowledge of inventory procedures and controls and procurement’s impact on inventory
· Willingness to travel if necessary
· BA / BS in Materials and Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Business Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
· 5 – 8 years of experience in Supply Chain, Purchasing or Engineering in a manufacturing environment
· C.P.M. certification and/or CPIM certification preferred.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch and talk or hear.
· Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
· Potential extended hours to meet the demands of the business.
Work Environment and Safety Equipment Required
· Working conditions are: 50% office and 50% manufacturing environment.
· Exposure to noise, heat and hazardous substances.
· Hearing protection is required in designated areas.
· Safety glasses (ANSI Z87 compliant) required in all manufacturing areas.
· Fully enclosed shoes of solid, leather construction with a steel or composite toe cap (ANSI Z41 compliant) must be worn in all manufacturing areas, including the Shipping / Receiving areas.
Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled
171 Stacey Road
Coxsackie, New York, 12051