Barnes & Noble Lead Barista - FT in Chula Vista, California
Title: Lead Barista - FT
Location: CA - Chula Vista - Eastlake - 2284
JobLocation: Chula Vista, California 91915
JobSummary: As a lead barista, you make the customer experience exceptional by sharing the passion and enthusiasm you have for the Cafe, with every customer interaction. As a deputy to the cafe manager (CM), you coach, inspire, and support an environment for baristas to grow and develop. Your desire to lead the team and coach others to deliver our service standards supports the achievement of sales goals and efficiencies. In your role, you work closely with the CM to strategize and analyze the team's efforts to ensure the delivery of high-quality beverages and food products for memorable customer experiences. In your role, you help the cafe team understand the importance of putting the customer first ahead of everything and anything else.
• Model the cafe customer experience by ensuring consistent, friendly, personal service and thoughtful recommendations, first by the example you set and second by the training you provide to baristas on how to deliver first-class service.
• Ensure a vibrant Cafe that is welcoming to all customers with a stocked bake case, merchandise that is displayed neatly and a Cafe team that greets all customers with a smile.
• Understand your customers and provide recommendations regarding the operations of the Cafe to help deliver great service.
• Support positive sales results through efficient ordering and by understanding the connections to the operations and the P&L.
• Coach and provide feedback to fellow baristas, in partnership with the CM to identify areas of growth and help them understand the connection of results and service.
• Solve problems efficiently and correctly while being a support to others by helping to remove obstacles.
• Engage customers in the store by optimizing cafe sales initiatives such as sampling, register promotions and the Cafe Mobile App.
• Assist with the completion of and compliance to all visual merchandising standards in partnership with the CM.
• Ensure the correct execution of all operational standards, in a timely manner and in accordance with cafe standards, safety and health codes.
• Protect company assets by ensuring the accurate execution of all loss prevention procedures.
• Communicate collaboratively with your store team, upholding the values of the company through fair and consistent feedback and respectful accountability.
• Work in the Cafe which requires physical activity (i.e., prolonged standing, repetitive bending, lifting, climbing, operating espresso machines) and sales floor when needed.
• Understand the cafe business and what it takes to be profitable.
• Exhibit solid knowledge of cafe business and operations.
• Understand and deliver excellent standards of service.
• Demonstrate good decision making.
• Shift gears quickly, prioritize and multi-task.
• Show confidence.
• Direct work with productive results.
• Experience in training employees.
• Ability to organize, plan and prioritize workload.
• Able to delegate and to work through others.
• Communicate effectively, collaboratively, and comfortably through and with others in the store and cluster.
• Give feedback honestly and respectfully.
• Previous exemplary experience in a senior barista or barista role.
• Prioritize customer experience above all else.
• Curious and continues to develop deep knowledge of the Cafe and market.
• Support results and understand financial factors.
• Enjoy working with people and values them.
• Well-organized and manages time efficiently.
• Excited by, adapts well to and thrives in a dynamic and changing work environment.
• Persevere with confidence in the face of adversity and setbacks.
• Use good judgment and make good decisions.
• Exhibit focus and thoughtfulness.
• Remain calm, cool, and collected during periods of high volume or unusual events to keep cafe operating to standard and to set a positive example for the team.
• Motivate and recognize each person.
• Take responsibility for own actions.
• Is patient and a good listener, making others feel heard and respected.
• Excel at setting and achieving goals as well as motivating a team to meet expectations.
• Display a can-do and positive attitude and affinity for leading people.
• Open to feedback and can reflect on this insight to develop and grow.
EeoStatement: Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, religion, creed, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition as defined by applicable law, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, hairstyle, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.