BT 2nd Line Data Services Engineer in Chippenham (4308), United Kingdom
2nd Line Data Services Engineer
Job Req ID: 4994
Posting Date: 11-Nov-2022
Chippenham (4308), Chippenham, United Kingdom
Salary: Competitive + Excellent Benefits
BT has a key role in British society, fostering change and leading technology innovation. From delivering the Olympics, to supporting the emergency services, to investing more into research than any other UK technology company, we take pride in everything we do - and in the people who work here.
We're now a global company operating at the forefront of the information age, employing 90,000 people in 180 countries. And we're on a mission. Guided by our core values of Personal, Simple and Brilliant our goal is to help customers, communities and businesses overcome barriers and release their potential.
So, if you're interested in the power of potential, why not join us today and release yours? You can read more here aboutwhat it's like to work at BT (https://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/lifeatbt/index.htm) .
About this role:
Our purpose is to use the power of communication to make a better world; for each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. You will be supporting bespoke data services at the Secure Services Centre (SSC) based in Wiltshire.
The primary responsibilities will be to provide 2nd line technical support for controlled configuration tasks, order fulfilment & incident management across various technologies including Alcatel / Nokia, DWDM / SDH network devices. For this role Security Clearance is mandatory and you will be expected to contribute towards the team’s success / performance and support team colleagues to enhance customer experience.
You'll have the following responsibilities:
• You'll act as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on specific customer solutions across data contracts
• Alcatel / Nokia, DWDM / SDH network devices technical support - Provide 2nd line technical support for specific data services in the UK and overseas. This support will be for the configuration team and will also extend to the field engineering support team
• Development of complex solutions - To support wider teams in developing complex solutions for bespoke customer requirements
• Transformation and Migration Support - To support transformation and migration programmes and projects. To support project teams to allow BT to meet agreed timelines and milestones. This may require a flexible approach to meet our customers’ needs and requirements
• Patching and Upgrade Support - To support any vendor advised patching schedules to meet agreed customer contractual requirements
• Operational Procedures - To assist the Operations and Service managers in establishing, maintaining & improving support systems, local procedures and local work instructions
• Processes and work instructions - To support all the contractual ITIL processes and procedures to meet all contractual requirements. This will require the development and writing of local work instructions to support all areas of data services
• Design and implementation support - Assisting the design teams when and where requested in integrating new technologies and systems into the existing network
• Test and acceptance - Assisting the test and acceptance team when and where requested. This may include demonstrations to the customer and assistance in answering any questions arising
You'll have the following skills and experience:
•A good understanding of Alcatel / Nokia, DWDM / SDH network devices and products
•An understanding of IP and networking protocols
•An understanding of Cisco and Juniper products
•A good understanding of ITIL fundamentals
•Be able to manage your own time to meet agreed targets and taking an autonomous approach to work with only limited guidance required
•Excellent customer service skills, excellent communication skills both written and verbal
•Proficiency in Microsoft Products including Office, Excel, Word & Teams
At BT, we entertain, educate, and empower millions of people every single day. We’re a brand built on connecting people – whether that’s friends, family, businesses, or communities. Working here, you’ll receive an attractive salary and a range of competitive benefits, but – more than that – you’ll be joining an ambitious organisation with a culture of togetherness, collaboration, and inclusivity, that takes a genuine and proactive interest in your progress and development.
Benefits of working for BT include:
% on-target bonus plan
World-class training and development opportunities
25 days’ annual leave (not including bank holidays)
Discounted broadband, mobile and TV packages
Car allowance (dependent on your role)
Share option and pension scheme programmes
Flexible benefits to fit around you
This role offers a 4 together, 1 wherever working model. This means you are required to be at your contractual location 4 days a week with 1 flexible days per week.
Who is the BT Group
We're the leading communications provider with customers in 180 countries. Across the world we enable customer's digital transformations so they can thrive. our focus is simple: be the global provider-of-choice for managed network and IT infrastructure services..