Microsoft Corporation Graduate Hardware Engineer in Cambridge, United Kingdom
The role is initially offered on a 1,5 year fixed term. Due to this we will be unable to apply for a visa for this role and will only accept candidates who are already elgible to work in UK without the need for working visa.
Salary: £40000-£45000 per year
This is a unique opportunity for a recent graduate to work in a leading industrial research environment. They will work with world class engineers and researchers with the opportunity to invent solutions that revolutionize the future’s cloud infrastructure. This stimulating environment is the ideal place to grow your practical skills and challenge your ingenuity.
Example group activities involve high speed electronics (>25Gbps), FPGA’s, optical transceivers, photonic IC design and fabrication, precision analogue control systems and complex board integration.
The applicant will have experience of some of the skills below, and have a passion to learn and practice others as required:
• Analogue, digital, high frequency and optoelectronic design, from paper study to simulation and ECAD
• Bench debugging (e.g. electronic debugging with oscilloscopes or logic analyser)
• Simple mechanical design and use of MCAD tools
• Experience with manual and automated workshop tools and equipment such laser cutting, 3D printing and light machining
• PCB assembly and hand soldering of surface mount components
• Microcontroller firmware for embedded applications
• Higher level software for automation, integration, or demonstration (e.g. Python, C#, Matlab)
- You will have, or be predicted at least a 2.1 in Electronics, Physics, Computer Science, or related degree.
As well as a strong theoretical grasp of their field, the candidate will have a demonstrable ability for hands-on engineering, and an appetite to learn new skills. They will be keen to explore multiple designs, take an open-minded approach to solutions, and use a combination of skills to follow an idea through to the realization of a research prototype.
Applicants will be able to discuss a project or projects to illustrate points from the skill set mentioned, where practical experience will preferably have been obtained beyond their degree in the form of hobbies or work placements. They will also be able to demonstrate attention to detail, self-teaching, and pride in their work, which could be from related or diverse fields: anything from a home electronic automation project, audio project, jewellery, model making or textiles.